Station Pier was opened in 1854 in what was then known as Sandridge. It
was originally known as Railway Pier and the first major railway in
Australia ran from Melbourne to Station Pier. A description of the
conditions prevailing in the early days of the pier and railway line can be
found at our entry on Seven Bridges of Melbourne under
Sandridge Bridge. Much of
Melbourne's early infrastructure was created and operated by private
businesses including the Melbourne-Hobson's Bay Railway line. During the
1950s and 1960s Station Pier was the focal point of the post war migration
to Australia particularly from Italy and Greece. It now has almost one
million passengers per year. It is the terminal for the ferry service to
Tasmania as well as having numbers of visits from cruise ships throughout
summer and autumn. Numbers of navy and visiting research ships also berth at
Rainbow Warrior II at Station Pier
Two large cruise ships at Station Pier
in early 2005
Proposed cruise ship visits to Station Pier.
You can find a full schedule of cruise ship visits at the
Port of Melbourne Authority.
Please note - schedule may vary and arrival and departure times can
typically vary by an hour in either direction.