These impressive buildings were constructed at the height of the
Victorian gold rush and have served three different governments. It was home
to the parliament of the Colony of Victoria until 1900. With Federation in
1901 it became the seat of Australia's Federal Parliament until that shifted
to the newly built Parliament House in Canberra (now 'Old
Parliament House'). With the shifting of Australia's seat of parliament
to Canberra in 1927, Victoria's State Parliament (which had been sitting at
the Exhibition Building since
Federation) was able to move in and has remained there since.
- 1856 - construction commences early in the year and the
building was ready for use by November
- 1860 - library added
- 1879 - Queens Hall added
- 1886 - Western facade and steps added
- 1990s - premier Jeff Kennett revives plans to add dome
but this does not happen
Parliament House has one of the most lavish interiors of any public
building in Australia.
The buildings were designed by Peter Kerr and J.G.Knight, Free tours are
available and photographs are allowed.